Vegetable oil for deep frying
1 cup cold water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
salt and freshly ground pepper
The trick is to use the batter as soon as the baking powder is added to ensure that yummy crispiness.
- Cut fish into 2 x 3 inch pieces
- Heat about 2 inches of oil in wok or deep skillet to 350'F, or until a cube of bread turns brown in 15 seconds.
- Combine cold water, 2 tbsp oil and salt in a bowl. Gradually whisk in 1 cup flour. Stir in baking powder just before using, make sure it is evenly blended.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup flour with salt and pepper on a plate. Dredge fish in seasoned flour and then dip one at a time in batter.
- Drop fish into hot oil, cooking for 4 - 6 minutes, or until coating is puffed and brown and fish is cooked. Fry in small batches to keep the oil at a constant temperature. Drain on paper towels.